BMPs created by SBX are corrupt?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Mojave

BMPs created by SBX are corrupt?

Post by Mojave » Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm the only one asking questions on here (a lot of them) - I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome. :)

The BMP files that SBX creates when adding a map from the background are always corrupt. I can only open them in MS Paint, not in any other graphics program - they all say the file is corrupt. Even worse, when I add a map and select only a portion of the grid, the resulting BMP is not even readable by Paint.

I am using VirtualEarth as the tile server. Regularly, I get corrupt tiles and the process of deleting the bad tiles and forcing SBX to download new ones never seems to work right. Could the corrupt tiles be what is causing the BMPs themselves to be corrupt?

luisfeliztirado

Re: BMPs created by SBX are corrupt?

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 am

Interesting problem. Since it has not been reported by anybody else, we must assume that it is particular to your system. You don't mention what other image editing programs you have used.

Generally, I use the GIMP image editor, but I remember trying to open some bitmaps with a free limited version of Photoshop (from about 10 years ago) and it could not - this was definitely a problem with Photoshop, not SBuilder.

The corrupt tiles are complete JPEG files, and do not in themselves have any information that could ruin a bitmap created by SBuilderX. If you are getting a lot of these corrupt tiles, though, then you more than likely have a problem with your Internet connection.

Best regards.
Luis
Last edited by luisfeliztirado on Sat May 15, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mojave

Re: BMPs created by SBX are corrupt?

Post by Mojave » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 am

Sorry, I should have given some specifics. I really don't think it's my system, but since nobody else has this issue, at least I have something to go on. And I was a little hasty in saying no other application could open it.

Picasa and Windows Photo Viewer have no problems with it. Photoshop 6 (yes, I know OLD!) won't open it, neither will ACDSee - those are the two image applications I use most, so I made assumptions. Anyhow, I'll go with the age of PS and a bug in ACDSee being the issues.

I thought the corrupt tiles would simply be a connection issue as well. But if I delete the bad tile, then create a new map in SBX, the same tile comes back corrupt. That's either a huge coincidence or something else I'm missing. I'll experiment with this some more.

Thanks for your help.