How to build elevated objects

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Kurt240457

How to build elevated objects

Post by Kurt240457 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:34 pm

To be exact I have two problems:

1) How to produce an elevated object:
If I place an airport object like a helipad into a SBuilder-project I am able to define an altitude (as absolute or AGL value) - this works fine for me. But if I try to create a building which I want to "float in the air" (which can be helpful e.g. for building a bridge like connection between two adjacent houses) it does not work. I just can fill in an AGL-value for the "bridge" but when it comes to compilation it leads into an error message saying that I should try the compiliation in command line mode. If I set the AGL-value back to zero, everything works fine without any compilation problems. Do I do something wrong here or is there a workaround possible?

2) Shadow issue:
I created a flat topped building with SBuilder and placed one of the FSX-default cement helipads on top. So far everything is working perfect. The only problem is that the helipad causes a shadow on the side wall of the building as well as on the ground beside the building. And yes, it is a real shadow which is depending on the azimuth of the sun. Any idea to avoid this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Kurt

Kurt240457

Re: How to build elevated objects

Post by Kurt240457 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 am

Hmmm ... no replies since 12 days?

Hasn't anybody the same or similar problems? Ther usage of the "building" function of SBuilderX is very much limitted by this because it is impossible to "staple" buildings over each other. It even would be helpful to know, if it is a non recognized bug within SBuilderX or a problem of the MS-FSX-compiler!

Also the shadow problem should be valid also for others than me alone....

luisfeliztirado

Re: How to build elevated objects

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Hello Kurt,

Sorry, the summer holidays are always a very slow time, most people are away, and you will not easily get an answer or help. You can try asking again when everybody is back from the beach.

1. elevated bridge "houses" - I think, from what I have read, that some objects cannot be raised in FS, the function would seem to be broken. I have not confirmed this, so do not know, but FS may possibly not let you do it. Call it a bug, if you want.

2. Shadows, and all transparency and z-buffer issues, have always been a problem and there is probably no solution if you are using default objects. You could try making your own in gMax and removing the shadow there, if that can still be done.

These are not bugs with SBuilderX since it uses the FSX SDK tools for compilation.

Best regards.
Luis