Annoying Crashes

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
SoloWing

Annoying Crashes

Post by SoloWing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:10 am

Greetings.

I have recently embarked on a project to re-create the Nantucket Islands in FSX, and SBuilderX was the obvious choice. I have completed two of the three so far, the smaller islands. But for some reason SBX has crashed without warning and for no discernible reason, causing me to loose all my point data 10 times in a row now. Each time, I was about 1/2 done with the largest island, and this has become too frustrating to continue work on. I have essentially wasted 10 hours today trying to get somewhere and instead getting nowhere.

Before I try to migrate all my files over to a new computer, can anyone think of a reason for these crashes? The only message I get tells me "SbuilderX has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled SBX 4 times, and the problem persists. Any ideas?

meshman

Re: Annoying Crashes

Post by meshman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 am

SoloWing wrote:I have uninstalled and reinstalled SBX 4 times, and the problem persists. Any ideas?
This statement indicates (to me) that the problem is not with SBuilderX, but something that is required to properly run SBX. You don't indicate what operating system you're using and whether it is current on the updates or has all the necessary runtime files installed. Could you give some more info on system and maybe a screen capture of about where you are "just before" the crash occurs in SBX?
Lance

teutonique

Post by teutonique » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am

Hi,
Sometime, my SBX crash when i have problem of downloading a google tile...
the little window down/left freeze : 1 tile remaining) and after a few seconds come the windows message with problem and close :evil: .
Regards,
Marcel "Teutonique" W.

SoloWing

Post by SoloWing » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 am

meshman wrote: This statement indicates (to me) that the problem is not with SBuilderX, but something that is required to properly run SBX. You don't indicate what operating system you're using and whether it is current on the updates or has all the necessary runtime files installed. Could you give some more info on system and maybe a screen capture of about where you are "just before" the crash occurs in SBX?
My apologies, that completely skipped my mind. I am running Windows XP Professional x64, and always have kept my system completely up to date. As far as I know, all associated runtime files are up-to-date as well. Other system specs include 3 GB of DDR2 ram, AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 quad core, and an NVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb graphics card. Any other specs, just ask and I can certainly provide.

I do not have a screenshot at the moment, but will try to get one up in the next day or two once I can get the problem to recreate itself. So far, I have held off from all my major projects, but if a solution can be found before I get a screenshot, all the better.

meshman

Post by meshman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:22 pm

XP Pro x64 should not be the problem, as it's what I use. But if I do a reinstall, I make sure to get all the updates and install all the applicable .NET framework packages. These are separate, standalone packages. So v3.5 does not work as an update from 2.0 or 1.1.
Lance

SoloWing

Post by SoloWing » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 am

meshman wrote:XP Pro x64 should not be the problem, as it's what I use. But if I do a reinstall, I make sure to get all the updates and install all the applicable .NET framework packages. These are separate, standalone packages. So v3.5 does not work as an update from 2.0 or 1.1.

I've got all the .NET packages installed up to and including 3.5 SP1. Below is a screenshot of the reproduced error. Note that this screenshot does not show the Nantucket Project, but this error is not specific to any one area, and presents itself at many times in many different places.

I'm hoping this helps further in diagnosing the problem, but the error message is incredibly vague.

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:00 pm

I occasionally get this problem when I zoom while tiles are loading. I get this much less when using the current Google tile server dll.

Dick
Dick