ESRI Shapefile and Roads

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
bensnowclark

ESRI Shapefile and Roads

Post by bensnowclark » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi there, I've imported (appended) an ESRI shapefile which contains Roads (from GeoBase) and this has correctly produced the entire road network as a series of Lines. The problem I have regards road altitude, when importing I set them all to 0m as I don't believe the Geobase data has alititude built into the shapefile data. Will they "drape" themselves over the underlying mesh (which is in a seperate BGL file) or will this be an issue and I also need to therefore set the altitude of each road segment?

luisfeliztirado

Re: ESRI Shapefile and Roads

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 am

Hello Ben,

In FS X, only flattens and hydro polygons (water) have altitudes. Roads and other elements always follow the countour of the relief. So, if you have defined your imported lines as roads, you should have no problem.

Best regards.
Luis

bensnowclark

Post by bensnowclark » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks Luis, just have one other question for now. I have created an exclude polygon changed its type to Exclude_All_Roads but when try to select it along with the roads to compile into a BGL it won't select and when I click on the Info button on the Polygon Properties page it says the type is not described in terrain.cfg?

Edit - Never mind turns out it was being selected but the compiler calls it a Terrain Vector rather than an Exclusion Rectangle. Now off to see if it works! :D

bensnowclark

Post by bensnowclark » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Ok that worked well(ish)! The default roads look like they've gone now but a new problem instead, I now have trees all over my runways! It would appear that a exclude designed to exclude roads only does something else too! Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?