SBuilderX/FSDS Compatability?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
macklinbob

SBuilderX/FSDS Compatability?

Post by macklinbob » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I have been trying to learn to make scenery object files with FS Design Studio.

SBuilderX does not like the BGL files generated by FSDS.

Airport Design Editor does not like them either but will work wit mdl files created by FSDS.

Does anyone have any clues about this problem?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

meshman

Re: SBuilderX/FSDS Compatability?

Post by meshman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Yes, I do!

When you export from FSDS you are given the opportunity to make a BGL file or a MDL file. The BGL file will contain lat/lon coordinates, locking it to a position. Like Seattle? The MDL file can be used directly or you can take one or more MDL files to make an Object Library BGL file. The Object Library allows the object to be "called" by an Object Placement BGL file that tells FSX to take 'X' object and place it at this Lat/Lon.

Does that make sense?

Just change how you're exporting from FSDS and SBuilderX will read the MDL file and place it. Making Object Library BGL files is easy with the tool available at FS Developer or Instant Scenery 2.
Lance

macklinbob

Post by macklinbob » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:26 pm

I have found I can import the MDL file into ADE. But I have not found out how to import a MDL file into SBuilderX.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 pm

From the SBuilder X Help file:

Working with Objects

You can place a large variety of objects with SBuilderX, including:

all FS X and FS 9 library objects
MDL files that are not in an object library
Generic Buildings
API macros
RWY12 objects
Taxiway signs
Windsocks
Beacons
Effects

Select the Object tool from the Tool bar and click in the workspace on the location where you want to place the object. The Object Properties window will display.

You can indicate the general properties of the object such as coordinates, orientation, and complexity, as well as modify the display name of the object. Select the type of object that you want to place from the list and SBuilderX will display the appropriate tab from which to choose the object.

You can place MDL files exported from gMax or 3d Studio Max with the FS 9 or FS X game packs, even if they have not been placed in an object library bgl. Select MDL from the list in the General tab and indicate the desired MDL file.

SBuilderX will import the MDL file, display the Width and Length as well as the GUID. When you compile your project, SBuilderX will create an object library bgl with that MDL and its placement information. You must remember to copy the required textures to the local scenery folder.

Best regards.
Luis

macklinbob

Post by macklinbob » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Thanks, I'm getting there.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa