Water and land problem

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
hawkryan

Water and land problem

Post by hawkryan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey I have used SBuilder for many years without problems to create Faroe Islands. It is a great and usefull program. I`a m recreating Faroe Islands for FSX, and made some small ajustments to cost and costline. And suddenly, whem compiling, SBuilder makes water to land and land to water. What is the problem here, and can I correct it? I have never seen that before.

meshman

Re: Water and land problem

Post by meshman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:03 pm

It's really impossible to guess at what may be causing the problems. Can you zip up the SBuilderX .SBX file and attach it here so that I or others might take a look at it?
Lance

hawkryan

Post by hawkryan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Sorry the file is too big to upload. Any guess of the problem?

hawkryan

Post by hawkryan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I have a backup SBX that works and compile OK. And I have the new one with some important corrections, that don ´t work. It is about a weeks work to recreate it from the backup, så I would be happy, if someone could have a look on the two files. How can I post them? Another question: Can a SBX file be too big. This one is about 2.5 MB now.

meshman

Post by meshman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 am

hawkryan wrote:Sorry the file is too big to upload. Any guess of the problem?
Yes, the file is too big! :lol:

You did try zipping it up to reduce the size?

Your other option if it is still too large for the forums is to upload it to some place like Megaupload and then supply the download link at Megaupload.

The file can be either the .SBP (SbuilderX Project) or the exported .SBX file. And if you need a good Zip tool, I use and recommend 7-Zip. It's free!
Lance

hawkryan

Post by hawkryan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 am

Well I will go the hard way and rebuild from my backup. My question about the file size was about SBuilder. Is there an upperlimit Sbuilder can use without problems. And the same for FSX. Is 2.5 MB of CVX-file too big, or is it better to start a new project and get two CVX-files for FSX.

meshman

Post by meshman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm

The work that you have done may be salvagable, if you export to a .SBX file and go through the entries getting things cleaned up. Whether that takes more time than redoing the additions to the backup file I don't know. The SBX file format is pretty straight forward, lines or polys with a GUID and a whole lot of point locations.

FSX has some large CVX files, but MS may be compiling in a slightly different manner. The data generated by SBuilderX gets translated into a shapefile format (.SHP), which the compiler then processes. It's possible to take many of the .SHP files (and the corresponding files that are needed) and run them through the compiler to make a single CVX file.

Whether SBuilderX has a limit, I can't say. I've had some large files run OK. I've helped another designer with a large project who started to have problems. He sent me the files and I went and exported them as .SBX files and did a lot of cutting and pasting to make smaller project files, that were able to be reimported back into SBuilderX. I'm a believer of smaller, task-oriented files. IMO, it's easier to work with a few files than with a single "all-inclusive" file. Finding and fixing things are easier and there's less clutter. If I compile the smaller files SBuilderX creates the .SHP files that I can set aside and then reuse to make a singular CVX file. It's just personal preference as to how a designer wants to work.
Lance

hawkryan

Post by hawkryan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for your answer. I have redone most of the work without problems. But it would be nice, if someone could answer the question about size of the SBX and CVX files in relation to Sbuilder and FSX.
I will stick with one SBX and CVX and make more backups, undtil I run into problems again. It would also be nice to have an explenation of, how Sbuilder can make water of land and verce virca. Just to understand more of the great program. Mayby Louis Sa get the time one day.
Anyway thanks to him for a very usefull program. If interested you can see some of my work on Faroe Island on http://webryan.dk

hawkryan

Post by hawkryan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:33 pm

Strange. I have now redone all my lost work, and made backup. After that I tried once again to correct the costline the same place, that gave the problems. And again water is turned to land and vice verca in the hole scenery. The strange thing is that close to that place I have corrected the costline without problems.