Wind Turbine Rotation

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
old grey dog

Wind Turbine Rotation

Post by old grey dog » Mon May 16, 2011 12:47 pm

I have successfully managed to place wind turbine objects to represent the wind farm on Soutra Hill south of Edinburgh. It looks good and everything is where it should be, but my wind turbines are not rotating. Does anyone know why?

luisfeliztirado

Re: Wind Turbine Rotation

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Wind turbines were animated and did rotate in FS 9. When the developers were preparing FS X, they converted the models but forgot to include the animation. This is valid for all the previously animated models (radar, amusement park, etc.)

You have some options:
- convert the old FS 9 models and use them instead;
- find other wind turbines that rotate;
- don't bother, after all this is a flight simulator and you won't be overhead long enough to see them turning.

Best regards.
Luis

old grey dog

Post by old grey dog » Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm

I like flying relatively slow aircraft and quite close to the ground. (I have been known to fly in between wind turbines). So I would quite like the turbines to turn. I have found that (especially with photo scenery) if you have movement in the scenery such as traffic and rotating wind trubines, it makes the scene much more believable.

This being the case, where will I find FS9 wind turbines? AND - How do I convert them to FSX?

So many questions I know, but many thanks for the help so far.

meshman

Post by meshman » Mon May 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Here's a FSX working wind turbine; http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downlo ... ate&page=2

Placed a couple hundred of them in Hawai'i, including flashing red warning lights (not included with the download) for those night flights.
Lance