Taxi Textures?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
jaacck

Taxi Textures?

Post by jaacck » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 am

Hi i am creating an airport scenery and was wondering how do the designers of payware airports get the taxi, apron and runway textures to be photoreal but only for that airport not changing the entire fsx world? I have a thesis of making a flat sketchup model and applying the texture of the airport on to it and applying it in the game. Is there an easier more precise way?

luisfeliztirado

Re: Taxi Textures?

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:52 am

You are correct, that is the way that many people are doing this. However, you must be careful, since FS X recreates the round earth, so flat polygons that are much larger than about 100 meters will start to float above the ground.

If you know how, you can tesselate the polygon (although I don't know if Sketchup will allow such complex operations) so that the polygon will have the same contour as the round earth. This does require a certain amount of calculation, but if you are interested there are more precise instructions concerning this aspect.

Best regards.
Luis