Problem when adding map

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
paris15

Problem when adding map

Post by paris15 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:14 am

I'm creating a photoscenery with SBuilder but I found a problem:
First, I created the maps from the background, so I have in the Work folder all the bmp files with the corresponding txt files. I checked these text files and the mapname is ok: Photo01, etc.
But when I try to add a map to SBuilderX from the disk it say "You may need to calibrate this bitmap" and I see the mapname of the image has changed to "MAP00", so the program can't identify it with the txt file. Even when I change the mapname of the image to "Photo01", when I open it again the name is changed to MAP00.
I installed the program in a normal folder, not "Program files" and I execute it as an administrator, but SBuilder seems to be unable to write the correct mapname.
Any suggestions?

luisfeliztirado

Re: Problem when adding map

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 am

Don't calibrate the Map when it has the accompanying text file. It is already calibrated.

The Calibration dialogue appears automatically, but it doesn't mean that you have to calibrate every Map; this is left up to you and in the case of Maps added from the Background, calibration is unnecessary.

Best regards.
Luis

paris15

Post by paris15 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

But when I click OK, the image appears out of place and distorted, which means it's not calibrated. It's as if Sbuilder wasn't able to associate the txt with the bmp file. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that in the txt file the map name is "Photo01", but in the image, if I look the Properties the map name is "MAP00". I've tried to change the image map name to Photo01 and then save the project, but when I add it again, the map name has changed to MAP00 and the calibration is lost.
Besides, I have made this operation many times before in a different computer and I never got that message (...needs to be calibrated), the program simply opened the image in the right place. It's now in a new computer when I get this problem.
Thanks for your interest, Luis.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Very strange behavior. When you Add a Map from Background, SBuilderX creates the Map and the accompanying calibration file (the text file), then immediately displays the Map in the workspace (in place of the Google tiles).

The Map and the text file have names such as L17X132733X132759Y90176Y90195.BMP and as you mention the text file gives the image a Photo1 name.

Perhaps you should start over again; simply delete your Map and its text file and create them again.

Best regards.
Luis

paris15

Post by paris15 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Well, I've started again and these are exactly the steps:
1. Started a new project
2. View/Show background
3. Zoom on the zone I want
4. File/Add map/From background
5. Select the resolution and click OK
6. Wait for the tiles to download and click OK again. The image appears correctly
7. I right-click on the border of the image and select Properties. The Map name is Photo01. The latitudes and longitudes as well as CellX and Y dimensions are correct.
8. I save the project.
9. I select the map and delete it.
10 I check in the Work directory and find both files with the same long name: the bmp and the txt. Open the latter and this is the contents:
[GEOGRAPHIC]
Name=Photo01
North=40,2459915041991
South=40,0780714274502
West=-3,8671875
East=-3,5595703125
11. Now the problem: File/Add/From disk and select the bmp file
12. It opens in the middle of the screen with the warning "This map could need to be calibrated". I press OK and the windows with the image properties opens. Now the Map name is MAP00, and the coordinates and dimensions are wrong.

I've also made another test to see it it could gave me a clue: after downloading the map from background and saving the project, I close the program WITHOUT DELETING THE IMAGE. When I reopen the program and load the project, the image is keeping in its right place and dimensions, as well as the right name: Photo01.
It seems to be exclusively a problem with the command Add from disk, as if the program wasn't able to read the image data from the txt file. Something to do with work directories? In fact in the other computer where I didn't have this problem, whenever I added form disk, the program opened by default the Work directory, but now, although the image files are in the Work directory, when I add, the program opens the Tools directory.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks for the clues, you are right. When SBuilderX cannot find the accompanying text file, the image is added as a normal Map, not Photo, and it is not calibrated.

So, there is a problem. I assume that you only have one SBuilderX/Tools/Work folder. That is where SBuilderX always creates and saves the Photo Map automatically. And that is where the accompanying text file is also created.

So, when you Add a File from Disk, you should take it from the Tools/Work folder. If you move the Map from there to another folder, you should also move the text file with it.

Best regards.
Luis

meshman

Post by meshman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:33 pm

It's still early for me (second cup of coffee), but if your example .TXT file is correct I wonder if your using a comma as a numeric delimiter is causing problems reading the data? Maybe switch to the period as the delimiter and see if it works?
Lance

paris15

Post by paris15 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:27 pm

To Luiz: Yes, I only have one Work folder, I have all the image and text files there and when I Add image from disk I take it from that folder.
To meshman: I have tried your suggestion with no success. Anyway, the text file wasn't created by myself, but by the program.

Well, maybe the problem is due to the OS (Windows 7 64 bits) and something about permissions.
I have found a trick to be able to work. I will explain it here in case it may be useful to anybody with the same problem:
- I create the new project
- Show the background and add map from the background.
- I repeat this step several times (it depends on the imige size and your RAM, I add four 500 tiles maps).
- Then, WITHOUT DELETING THE MAP, I save the project and close SBuilder.
- Now I edit my bmp files with Photoshop or whatever, WITHOUT CHANGING THE ORIGINAL NAME OR SIZE...
- I reopen SBuilderX and, since I had saved it with the maps showing, the program automatically loads them, but the images loaded are the edited ones, and they are correctly calibrated.
- Now I can generate the bgl files for those images.
- Finally, I delete the images and start again with the following zones.

This works!

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:12 am

I could not understand why you wanted to delete your map in the first place. I will 'show background', add map from background, select all maps (probably don't have to do this but I do), draw my red square and choose te highest res. (makes a pretty big file but it is ver clear image) then I just minimize SbuilderX, I go to work folder (I have a shortcut on desktop), choose my bmp and go to PSP and fuss with it, save as a _B.tif, max up SbuilderX and compile. rename and place in active scenery and dats it.

Trouble I am having is if I choose 'add map from disk' - I change map001 to photo01- I make sure I put my bmp manually into work folder then I do all of the above. compile- put the new bgl into the scenery and it does not show up. and it should. Bob

choosing 'add map from background - no problem.