Default FSX textures on water areas

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
paris15

Default FSX textures on water areas

Post by paris15 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:16 pm

This is the problem: I create a photoscenery with SBuilderX. When I have a river or lake, I create the _W and _B TIFF files (in the bmp file I select the water areas and fill them with black, and the rest with white), then I compile the map. However, sometimes, I don't know why, FSX shows terrain default textures in the middle of the lake or river, even putting some autogen items on them, like houses or trees. A couple of examples:
As you can see in the first photo, where there should be water there is a terrain texture, not photographic, but FSX's default.
In the second photo, only the outer part of the lake is show with water.

Another problem is that sometimes I get long straight black lines in my textures, like this:
It's not missing tiles, since tiles are much larger than that line.
Any ideas?
Thanks

rhumbaflappy

Re: Default FSX textures on water areas

Post by rhumbaflappy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 pm

What's wrong is that your blend mask doesn't have a water poly beneath it.

Blend masking allows transparency.

Water masking only makes that photoreal area behave as water ( waves, bobbing, splashing ). Water masking does not give the visual appearance of water. You would only need water masking if you want to NOT blend out the water areas, but want to keep them visually in the photoreal.

If you want FSX-looking water, use the blend masking, and also create a slightly larger vector water poly(s) to show through the blended out areas. That will show the FSX-type water, with no autogen, as it blends through your photoreal.

As far as the lines, it may be you need to have slightly overlapping photoreal areas to insure gaps between different BGLs are covered?

Dick
Dick

paris15

Post by paris15 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you for your reply, I'll test your solution and I'm sure it'll work.
As regards to the black line, I thought that too, but sometimes they appear in overlapping maps too. I'll keep on investigating in what conditions it happens, to give us a clue.

paris15

Post by paris15 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't get it. Surely I'm not doing it right. Could someone please explain how to create vector water polys and compile them together with the map?

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:30 pm

For instructions on how to create vector terrain, please see:
Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X
available in the Avsim library
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?&DLID=141643

For instructions on creating custom ground textures, including Water and Blend Masks, see:
Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X
in the Avsim library
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=140539

Your problem with the black lines could be due to the version of Resample that you use - the initial release of that tool caused that problem. This was fixed in subsequent versions. Please check the version of Resample you are using.

If you installed the Service Packs for FS X, then you should also have installed the Service Packs for the S.D.K.s. The last version of Resample was 10.0.61637.0.

Best regards.
Luis