add map from disk problem

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
jyarddog

add map from disk problem

Post by jyarddog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 pm

If anyone reads all of this you will find I found the problem- change the name to photo. But my problem now is LOD. SbuilderX uses auto. I found out that to change the LOD do it manually. But then no one tells me HOW or WHAT to change it to. do I use auto,max - which didn't work- do I type in numbers? See? I am told what to do generically but not how to do it. I even read the SDK. Of course they speak in brain surgery terms! I've tried many numb3ers from 27 down to 13 - some too large a file=- 13 or 12 gives me something that is distorted and hazy and twisted off axis!! Lower than 12 nothing shows up. Help please. Bob

I found a much clearer image from a photo I took instead of using background from a sattilite. I ploaced this image as a bmp in tools\work.

I then did file-add map- from disk
it went right to the work folder - I chose my image and I was then back to my main Sbuidler screen with map with the red 'handles' at each corner of the map.

I then did calibrate just for fun. (message said- this might need calibration).

Minimizaing this I went to work folder, chose my bmp and open my paint editor.

I then did my blend mask and named it the same except with the _B.tif
saved
back in work folder I now have oceana.bmp and oceana_B.tif I see no txt file!!!!

Back to main SbuilderX screen with 'select all maps' chosen. compile..... [nothing to compile because there is nothing chosen- go back and choose the item to compile] - message.

well- map is already chosen!!! what is going on?

----------------------

Just found out - forgot about changing the name map to photo01. ok now BUT I don't know how to change the lod so my bgl shows u in FSX.

luisfeliztirado

Re: add map from disk problem

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello Bob,

Perhaps the first question is: why do you want to change the LOD setting from Automatic? Generally, this will allow Resample to choose the best LOD levels for your source image, so I imagine that you have some particular reason for not wanting that.

As to what numbers to use, it is important to understand what the LOD numbers represent, and even more important to know what you are trying to get as a result before deciding on the numbers to use.

Best regards.
Luis

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Luis- thank you for the reply. why I was consideriing LOd changes is because I loaded this photoreal into my active scenery and nothing changed. I still see default. Usually this means the LOD is lower than the default, or scenery is ot activated. This scenery is so I figured the problem is the LOD.

Is there something else I should consider? Bob

Remember- this all is taken from "add map from disk" not background.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Thank you, Bob, that makes sense and is probably one of the few reasons to not use Automatic LOD creation.

You can try one of the following, instead of LOD=Auto:

1. use the automatic option but then force creation up to a higher maximum, i.e. LOD=Auto,17

2, indicate your own minimum and maximum values, i.e. LOD=6,17

Either of those will make your low resolution source image display instead of the default generic textures.

Best regards.
Luis

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Luis- Thank you. Will surely try thisw. BTW- I downloaded and installed the google.dlll but I still can't get any google tiles to show up when I shoose google satellite and show background regarless of what zoom level I try. Any ideas or has Google blocked this? Bob

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm

No idea why Google will not display images for you, Bob. Is there some particular area that doesn't work or is this problem appearing in the whole world?

Best regards.
Luis

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Google = entire globe.

btw- tried auto, 17 - also tried 6,17 both were over a gig , wow! :) anyway neither showed up. the area I am trying is KNTU (Oceana afb).

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 am

I think I just got Google.dll to work. will check further but the tiles appeared nicely. Still working on why add map from disk won't show.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 pm

You could try checking the bgl by loading first in TMFViewer. This will allow you to see if the ground textures have been created correctly and also if they are in the right location.

Best regards.
Luis

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 pm

OK- I did that and TMF Viewer shows my bmp just fine. I compiled after dong a blend but it was only 28 kb big, and does not show. i feel I am close but not right on with this.

Purpose of all this is to be able to successfully add map from disk if I can't find a good satellite image. Just trying to cover all options. Bob

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Bob, you are going to a lot of trouble and frustration just to make sure that an option will work in case you someday decide to use it. :lol:

From here on, it seems to be clearly a case of user error. We have covered any of the common mistakes and the procedure is correct. So, if your ground textures are not displaying in game, it could very well be because you did not use the correct coordinates when you calibrated that image.

As a last resort, please indicate the coordinates that you used and the supposed location (where the ground textures are supposed to be) so that we can verify if this is the problem.

Best regards.
Luis

jyarddog

Post by jyarddog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Will do! all I have done was calibrate and left it at that. So- It may be that I should somehow go back to calibrate and manually change the lat and lon numbers. I'll work on that. Read how to do that somewhere....interesting post, but that was some time ago. I guess it would be a question as to where and how much to adjust the lat and lon. I'll keep at it. thanks for the help so far. Bob