How to exclude part of addon scenery image?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
LoftyCyborg

How to exclude part of addon scenery image?

Post by LoftyCyborg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 pm

I am using SBuilderX313 and FSX Acceleration on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have some photorealistic scenery added in to FSX, but it has areas where it overlaps out into Lake Erie for several miles, making the aerial view rather ugly, not to mention that you can't land a float plane in those areas. They are treated as hard land. I would like to find a way to "punch through" those shoreline areas and hide them, to reveal the water underneath that FSX would normally be showing along the lake shore if the addon scenery were not installed.

I've been studying a tutorial I found that details how to improve the appearance of Nauru island. I thought the skills I learned doing that would be of use in the above project. But I still can't seem to exclude any of the 'error imagery' along the shoreline. Attached is a shot of what I am trying to eliminate. Should be very obvious. (Please excuse the forum-mandated tiny file size/low resolution).

I read an interesting thread here:
http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1982
that revealed to me there are 3 different types of compiler used in SBX, but I am not sure which type this project would need to use, and which of the bewildering assortment of tag variables would be correct to use on an exclude to punch a hole through what is essentially this 'picture' of water and let me see the FSX generated water under it.

The SBX help for new users sticky post by Luis Sa at the top of this forum has links to tutorials on AVSim, but all the links lead to files that no longer exist on the AVSim Library. So I am not sure what I need to be doing here. Any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
UglyWater.png

rhumbaflappy

Re: How to exclude part of addon scenery image?

Post by rhumbaflappy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Search the AVSIM library for tirado
Dick

luisfeliztirado

Re: How to exclude part of addon scenery image?

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks for the reference, Dick, very kind of you. :P

When Avsim was destroyed by a hacker some years ago, all the files in the library went down as well.

For a tutorial on custom (photo-real) scenery design, please see this new link:
Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=140539

Unfortunately, this will not help you to solve your problem. There is no way to modify custom ground textures that are already compiled and in a bgl container. You cannot exclude parts of the scenery that you don't like, because photo-real ground is different from other types of scenery, such as vector terrain and objects (that can easily be excluded either partially or completely.)

So, you have probably only two options:
1. Don't use that scenery package at all; or
2. Don't use it and make it yourself the way you like it if you know how, or after reading the tutorial mentioned above for those who don't know how.

Although there is a third option: use it and ignore the flaws: :lol:

Best regards.
Luis