Make changes to many polys all at once

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Luis Sa

Re: Make changes to many polys all at once

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Hello,

Please confirm that you have read this chapter in the SBuilderX Help file

Slicing (and Filling) to Qmid

Best Regards, Luis

lorenzownd145

Post by lorenzownd145 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Uhm, actually no :) Next morning I'll read it

lorenzownd145

Post by lorenzownd145 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 am

Ok, I read it and tried that solution in the post and video, but it didn't work. I understood the process, but if I click "slice to qmid11" the polys "invert", so the part of the poly that was a hole becomes water and the water becomes hole ... Please, could you gently take the "GL_CL_V4_Test.zip" I posted earlier and try yourself to slice to qmid11? Just to make sure that it isn't program-related. Thanks anyway for your kind and fast reply!

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't know what program made the original polygon, but there is something wrong with it's format or geometry. I took your original data, opened it in QGIS ( Global Mapper should have worked as well ), and resaved the data. I then used that new data to cut a hole in a surrounding rectangle I made ans save the new data as C_64A.shp

That file , when loaded to SBuilderx can be properly sliced to QMID11, and the excess areas deleted.

Dick
Attachments
C_64A.zip
(192.52 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times
Dick

lorenzownd145

Post by lorenzownd145 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 am

Ah! So it's not my fault this time :) Actually I took the original poly and saved it in 4° steps with global mapper but, as you can see in the first posts, the original poly had many problems just from the start. Yesterday I didn't have time to work with sbx, but today I'll have a look. Thank you all for the help!

lorenzownd145

Post by lorenzownd145 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes! It works! I managed to make my coastline finally work! Basically the poly I downloaded from the Internet (GADM if anyone is wondering) was in some way incorrect, so I restarted the project from scratch and made many tweaks with Global Mapper and SBX to make the poly "usable" (if anyone is interested, I'd be glad to explain what I did). After that I just had to follow the normal steps you all know to make the coastline from my poly, and after compiling I saw my perfect coastline from TmfViewer!! Now I'm working on an improved version of my coastline that uses GSHHG data (very high resolution!). Obviously, if I decide to share my works one day, I'll credit all of you!

Note for Luis: Now that I'm working with my high res coastline data (18000+ polys!), I notice that SBX is at its limits, because it keeps crashing (mainly memory errors) and sometimes even corrupts data because of the amount of data it's working with. I suggest you to recompile your SBX with the lastest version of Visual Studio (I remember I have read somewhere you developed your program with VS2005, but I'm not sure), and maybe even build a 64bit version. But take it as an advice, not as a critic :)

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Luis is updating SBuilderX, and yes there is a 64-bit version in testing that will solve some memory problems.

Dick
Dick