Anybody got a tutorial on how to turn water into land?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
BraselC5048

Anybody got a tutorial on how to turn water into land?

Post by BraselC5048 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28 am

I'm trying to update some coastal fs2004 airports to FSX, and one problem in a few of them is that the runway is in the water, which is raised up to runway level by the flatten. Editing the flatten won't help, since the runway itself is in it. Does anybody have a tutorial on how to turn water along the coast into land, basically moving the coastline seaward? I haven't been able to find any online that really help.

I'm pretty darned new when it comes to scenery in flight simulators, so I have really no idea what to do.

meshman

Re: Anybody got a tutorial on how to turn water into land?

Post by meshman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:56 am

The steps within SBuilderX are fairly simple;

1. exclude the existing water body
2. introduce a new water body
3. compile and enjoy

But any exclusion of water will deal in QMID 11 cells, so even if you only want to exclude a tiny portion of that QMID 11 cell's water, it will take it out of and have to be redrawn into the entire cell area. SBuilderX has a grid layout that will show the different QMID cell boundaries.

Water in FSX is separate from coastlines and waves, so coastlines need their own exclusion (QMID 11 again!) and will need to be redrawn, if so desired. If the water is oceanic, then it's elevation would be the default 0', but if it's a lake or other inland water body then it would need to have an elevation set.

There are tutorials for working with SBuilderX, generously done by Luis Feliz-Tirado and they should be available at most major FS site.
Lance

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Lance,

With so simple explanations I am gaining confidence to try Scenery design again! 8)

Regards, Luis

BraselC5048

Post by BraselC5048 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Is method 2 from scott967's post at this link possible? Because if it is, then it would be a lot less work. Thing is, I tried it, and it didn't work, but that could well just be me doing something wrong.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thread ... erx.18328/

meshman

Post by meshman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 pm

You can certainly try that method, can't you? Or there could be other shortcuts waiting to be found and an attempt to implement them. It's only time and effort to be expended.

Or there's the proper method to FSX terrain work and while it can be a little "mind numbing" at times, it seems to work out most of the time.

The great thing is that it's all a learning process and work habits can be formed and refined. I think my mind numbing is associated with my gray hair, in that I've learned to accept it as part of the process. :roll:
Lance