Landclass change not working - what am I doing wrong?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
BraselC5048

Landclass change not working - what am I doing wrong?

Post by BraselC5048 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:27 am

I've been trying to change the landclass from grass to Airport2 at an airport I'm updating to FSX. And it's not working. I wind up with different areas having different textures, despite having a landclass poly over the whole area. Or more accurately, a bunch of polys over a couple of .bgl files, all of them overlapping somewhat, and most of them in one .bgl, where they also overlap. I can't join them since for some reason the join features isn't working, despite following the instructions on another thread. I tried putting an AB_maskclassmap over the whole area (in a different .bgl), and that just changed what textures showed, few of them the one I trying to change it too.

I'm really new at this, and probably doing something really basic completely wrong, so a list of "what not to do" and "what to do" would probably include my mistake.

meshman

Re: Landclass change not working - what am I doing wrong?

Post by meshman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:29 am

I'm trying to imagine what you are describing, but it's not working for me. The only clue for me is when you mention "airport", so the obvious question is did you exclude what was there before or try to place on top of what was there before?

The game has no artificial reasoning ability, only the limited ability to make things based upon a set of rules. So here is an airport, with an airport background and it sees a file that says put polygons here that have elm trees in them. Which does it do, the airport background that's already there or the elm trees? If it were capable of putting both in, which would it put down first, the airport grass or the elm trees? Follow the point I'm trying to make? The game is incapable of knowing what you want.

If you want the area around an airport to have a variety of land classification polygons, you must make it to where the rendering engine can only read the work correctly. Don't think you can put one poly on top of another, instead think about taking out the old poly and put in new polys that create the appearance that you desire.
Lance

BraselC5048

Re: Landclass change not working - what am I doing wrong?

Post by BraselC5048 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok, so no overlapping polygons. I can't seem to get them to join, but that's another thread. Another stupid question - how do you exclude the existing landclass? And how does an airport boundary fit into all this? I really don't know what an airport boundary does. Would an fs2004 airport have an airport boundary?

EDIT: successfully joined them, no overlapping polygons. And the problem is still here. It seems that one of the .bgl with polygons in it works as intended, but the main landclass almost seems to be under the problem area, if it makes any sense. The landclass is changed, but a large swath didn't change. And I have no idea why. Should I be using a maskclassmap poly? (I am.) Or something else? And are files in the same folder prioritized by first in alphabetical order, or last?