Island again ........

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
sbx7634

Island again ........

Post by sbx7634 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 pm

I used to make islands with SBX and use them in FSX years ago .
For personal reasons (not health TG), I had to give up for sometime .
Now I am back but making an island is the only thing I cannot remember how and there are
not files to search for , because I have a new machine .
Could someone help please ...
Thanks in addvance

sbx7634

Re: Island again ........

Post by sbx7634 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:54 pm

sbx7634 wrote:I used to make islands with SBX and use them in FSX years ago .
For personal reasons (not health TG), I had to give up for sometime .
Now I am back but making an island is the only thing I cannot remember how and there are
not files to search for , because I have a new machine .
Could someone help please ...
Thanks in addvance
Is this forum active ? ............

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 am

Hello,

You will find links at the top of this forum to tutorials showing how to create islands and much more.

Best regards.
Luis

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

Thank you Luis ,

The tutorials do not work for what l want .
In actual fact l want to make an island near an existing shore .

George

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm

The procedure for making islands is the same, George.

Let's start from the beginning. The entire FS world is land. There is only water when a Hydro Polygon is present.

So, a coastline is a Hydro Poly with the shape of the coast and covering the land with water.

To make an island close to a coast, you must:

First, exclude the Hydro Polygons that are present.

Then, draw a new Hydro Polygon to replace the one that was excluded. It will have the shape of the coast on one side.

Finally, draw a hole in that Hydro Poly with the shape of your island. This will reveal the land underneath the water for your island.

Don't forget to add land class and any other features to your island.

Best regards.

Lusi

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Thank you Luis ,

l've tried what you suggested which is the same of course as the tutorials , but no luck ....
Could it be the position where l want the island (N 38.3457558370555 , E 23.7933816052579) or
maybe the settings of the FSX display for sceneries ( l have them all at the extreme right )

l attach the SBP of the project for your perusal
Attachments
bbb.rar
attachment
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 940 times

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 am

Thank you very much, George, I love difficult problems. :lol:

I checked the location on Google and there does not seem to be an island precisely at that spot, but Google has been wrong before. Although the ferry to Eretria is shown as passing right by.

Nonetheless, this should still be possible.

Could you please post a screenshot of your SBX workspace with your exclusions and the new Hydro Poly? Thank you. Make sure that you select the correct exclusion (Exclude Hydro Poly) to get rid of the old one.

Best regards.
Luis

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 am

Thank you Luis ,
Yes l know you like difficult problems . l remember , a few years back when l was posting frequently at
the FSDeveloper forums how you were dealing with them .
Back to the island ......
There is not actual island at that spot.... l want to make one .
There is no "exclude Hydro poly" in the properties of polygons but only " Exclude_All_Water_Polygons" and
"Exclude_All_Water_Polygons_GPS" . l have tried them both .....
l don't understand what you will get from the SBX workspace screenshot , l am attaching one anyway .

Best regards
George
Attachments
island.rar
(18.06 KiB) Downloaded 963 times

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Thank you, George. I see your new Hydro Poly and the hole. Could you please indicate where you have drawn the exclusion? Thank you.

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Luis ,

There you are with the hydro poly set aside
Attachments
island2.jpg

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 am

Thank you, George. Please excuse me for asking. This is a very simple procedure and if there are problems, then the solution is bound to be simple as well.

The only possibilities that come to mind are:

- the exclusion polygon has not been properly selected, so default water is not removed. This would mean that the new Hydro Poly would be on top of default water and the hole for the island would not show land, but rather the underlying Hydro Poly.

GPS Hydro Polys are only displayed on the GPS unit on the cockpit panel, not on scenery. And anyway I believe that they were always buggy and could never be properly excluded and replaced. As far as I know, the FS developers never fixed this before FSX was canceled 11 years ago. So, your exclusion should always be for normal Hydro Polys.

- the new Hydro Poly is not properly declared as a water body, so does not display at all, much less the hole that is meant to be an island.

- the hole is not created correctly, so the new Hydro Poly just has an undeclared polygon in the middle that does nothing. It is important that the hole should be created the right way with respect to the Hydro Poly.

- incorrect coordinates could place the new scenery at a distance from where it is expected, making it impossible to see.

I don't imagine that you have made any of these simple mistakes, but they are really all that come to mind. Of course, you must place your scenery in an active scenery folder for it to display at all, but surely you have done that.

Sorry, I have not checked your project file at all. First, because my darling dog has just died and I am really not up for much at the moment. But, also, some freak voltage spike, perhaps a storm, has burned all electrical equipment in the house and I am still working on getting things fixed.

I don't have more suggestions for you. As mentioned, this is a very simple procedure and should not create problems of any sort.

I wish there were an easy solution, besides just checking all the steps again.

Best regards.
Luis

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi Luis ,

I am sorry you lost you dog , I know how you feel lost mine a couple of month ago .
Life goes on of course , maybe you could replace him with a new puppy . I didn't .

I manage to make an island , but at that particular position , if I wanted the island , I had to
accept the ugly and stupid coastline of FSX . Alternatively if I coudn't stand it , the solution was
to install an add-on with the real coastlines of Greece , which when activated wiped the island off .
All in all , no problem creating an island in the open sea , but near existing shore , especially with
the FSX terrain in Greece is out of the question .

Thank you once more for your help

Kind regards
George

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Excuse me, George. This extra information clarifies the problem.

In fact, you were trying to make an island while using another third-party scenery that has more detailed coasts.

These are two different things altogether.

So, when you make your island,:

- make an exclusion for the water body;

- then, draw a new water body that follows the coast with greater detail. You can use a background image (Map) from Google or any other from which to trace the detailed coast. Your new water body will now be as detailed and realistic as you wish.

Please understand that there is no such thing as a coast in FS, only a Hydro Poly that follows the outline of the coast. The water body determines the shape of the coast and its detail.

- Now, create the hole in your Hydro Poly for the island.

You can still use the third-party scenery if you don't want to draw all the coastline in the area. Just make sure that your new Hydro Poly with island is active in the scenery library above the third-party scenery and loads after it. It will exclude that particular Hydro Poly and display yours instead.

Perhaps the problem was that you were placing your island below the third-party scenery. So, your island would load in FS, then that other scenery would load after and exclude it, and only show its water bodies without an island.

Best regards.
Luis

sbx7634

Post by sbx7634 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 am

Good Day Luis ,

Sorry for late reply , but with the temp in the 30s , I spent long weekends at my summer house by the sea ,
and just saw your post .
Yes this clarifies the problem and thank you . I will try it , but l find it easier to :
Fill QMID 11 with land after activating the coastlines add on , and then with ADE draw the sea around the
island . probem is , I don't recall how to fill QMID 11 with land .
Any ideas ?

Kind regards
George

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Excuse me, George, I have not made myself very clear.

You cannot fill the scenery with land. Flight Simulator is already filled with land everywhere on the planet. In order to get oceans, seas, lakes, and rivers, a Hydro Polygon must be created. Then, and only then will water be displayed on top of the land.

Underneath that water polygon is land, always land.

So, in order to get land, you must first exclude the water polygon. That will wipe out the water and display the underlying land.

Then, in order to make an island in water, you must draw a new Hydro Poly with a hole in it showing the land beneath the water.

This is the only way to do this and you will have to do it the same way, whether with SBuilderX or ADE. There is no difference.

But, that is not your problem. As I mentioned, you have a problem with your scenery library.

I imagine you place your new water with island scenery in the Add-on Scenery folder and that you have the coastlines scenery above it in the Scenery Library.

Don't do this. This is the problem. Place your island scenery above the coastlines scenery and everything will display correctly.

Best regards.
Liis