Background Map

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
fredz

Background Map

Post by fredz » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:40 am

Is it possible to use the map that I get from google as a polygon texture so it appears in FS9? I want to us it as a temporary locator so I can position buildings, etc using 'Instant Scenery'. It will not be supplied with any released scenery bgl's. I still use Scenery Builder for most operations but plan to use 'Instant Scenery' for some "quick and dirty" improvements. [:D] Thanks for any help.
Later,

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer

Alan McGaughey

Post by Alan McGaughey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Hi Fred,

It may be difficult to scale and position your texture correctly using a textured polygon, what I do is make a 4.8m photoscenery in order to position things for FS9, it doesn't look that great but it certainly serves the purpose.

The technique is well documented here on the forums and you can get your correctly scaled and positioned image using the PTSim google maps facility.

Alan McGaughey

http://www.cfdg.net

fredz

Post by fredz » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Alan, thanks for the reply. I have the background map that I got using the PTSim google maps facility which I used to come up with the new AFCAD and the background scenery so I just have to figure out how to get it into a proper size poly to make my locator. At least I know it can be done, now I just have to figure out how.[:)]
Later,

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer

boleyd

Post by boleyd » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Placing buildings with IS can be a bit more than you might expect. As an example if you use an accurate photo background you will probably have to move and "fix" the airport to match the photo (AFCAD). This is a long process in itself since the FS airports are only approximations of reality.

However, once you have that you are now able to put elements with IS where they belong.

The real trick is getting the photo to appear in FS9. SBuilder does this. You need a photo area and the lat/lon of two of the corners. This becomes your "map" in SBuilder. The Help files will offer all that is needed.

A photo section is easily found if you use http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps_v2a.asp

You now have all of the info you need to accurately place it in FS9 so you can set the airport and buildings to reality.

FSX is even easier with the SDK tools once you understand the jargon.

Dick Boley near 5G8

fredz

Post by fredz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Dick, I am familiar with most of your suggestions. I have done some scenery using SB, GMAX & AFCAD. I already have made a 'map' pic for SB, redone the AFCAD to match reality [:)] and have all the ground textures, etc in place. This was just to play with IS and boy, has it grown![:D] I have just not figured out how to take the 'map' BMP and make it show up in FS so I can try to place some stuff with IS. People say this can be done, I just haven't found the magic method yet. Thanks for the help and I will keep trying.
Later,

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:32 pm

Hello,

I do not know IS but if you are able to take a shot from http://www.ptsim.com/sbuilder/gmaps.htm and if you can place this photo in SBuilder (you can copy the georeference information or "boundaries" and paste it on a txt file with the same name as the bitmap file, and, and the bitmap gets "calibrated" when you add it to SBuilder) then you can make a photoscenery. And then use IS and then remove the photosecenery.

Regards, Luis

fredz

Post by fredz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks for all the assistance. I did get the photoscenery to display and as Alan said, the resolution is not great. I may not be able to do exactly what I originally wanted to do but I did learn something useful - which is not a bad thing[:D] Now to play.
Later,

Fred Zealor
ICAS Air Show Announcer