Islands water polys "flood" the mainland

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Mick

Islands water polys "flood" the mainland

Post by Mick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi everybody,

somehow I'm stuck in creating an island photo scenery with an issue I never had to deal with before...

The photoscenery covers an area with hundreds of islands, and some are not very far away from the mainland. Since FSX expects me to cover the full LOD9 square with custom hydro-polygons, I went the known way of cuting the island polys as holes into a surrounding new LOD9 waterpoly. But when I watch the result in FSX I have to realize that the waterpoly covers the relevant part of the mainland as well (which is, if following the tutorials I have, not supposed to be cut out).

1. How would I avoid this unwanted effect of "flooding" the mainland?
2. Is there a way (with SBX) to cut the holes of some island-polys at once? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but as soon as I have more polys selected and right-click one (so that I have "ON MANY POLYS2" on top of the menu) the "cut as hole" command isn't available anymore...

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Regards
Mick

meshman

Re: Islands water polys "flood" the mainland

Post by meshman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:14 pm

FSX doesn't expect you to do anything, it's incapable of thought... :lol:

You might be thinking that if you do an exclusion of default water that it will cover a QMID 11 and if there is any water in that area that you want to save that it would need to be reintroduced? But that QMID 11 area does not need to be redone from all water. Contour your new water poly to match the shoreline of the main land, then for the island areas draw a new poly that gets set as a hole to the parent water polygon.

I would imagine that the procedure for tagging a poly as a hole to the parent is singular in nature and not a multi-selection process. But I would need to see the source code for SBuilderX or try some tinkering on a non-existant project, which might occur "some day" but not any time soon.
Lance

Mick

Re: Islands water polys "flood" the mainland

Post by Mick » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:24 pm

Thanks for your rapid answer, Lance! You're right with the assumption that I really thought I'd have to fill the whole QMID11 area (parent poly) with custom water... I'll try your approach within the next days and see if it works.

Regarding SBX source code you might be interested in this information: http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=30. There is a lot of potential (as well as feature ideas) in SBX, and Luis Sá seems to be interested in opening the VB.NET source code to (at least some) contributers. Unfortunately, since I'm only some "leisure time programmer", the full responsibility is too much on my shoulders alone.

Have a nice evening
Mick