Problem with Generic Buildings

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
mga010

Problem with Generic Buildings

Post by mga010 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:19 pm

I made a generic building with SBuilderX. For this, I created a new project there, and put a new generic building (named Test) of dimensions 300x50 onto the display. I can clearly see the handles of this object and the dimensions seem right.

I then compile to BGL, including Objects. But the BGL is empty (contains no objects due to Model Converter X or ADE). I could not find out what is causing this. For your information, I attach the XML and the BGL, plus the project. I also tried to compile in a command line. The compiler says it is is scanning the file and produces a BGL. But it is also empty.

My plan was to export from Model Converter X as MDL and use the building in ADE. I actually do not know if this is a good plan.

Thanks for any help, Rene.
Attachments
Test.zip
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 1412 times

luisfeliztirado

Re: Problem with Generic Buildings

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17 am

Generic Buildings are not normal scenery objects. They do not contain polygons or materials (maps or textures), but only instructions to the game on how to build and place this building.

If ModelConverterX does not load Generic Buildings, then it will report the bgl as empty, since it is looking for polygons and material maps.

The only way to know if the bgl is valid is to declare it in the FSX Scenery Library and view it in game.

Best regards.
Luis

mga010

Post by mga010 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense to me. (Even though the program could have told me that. Selecting the the generic building allows compiling. Not selecting it does not. So I thought that it works.)

Airport Design Editor has a collection of generic buildings in a GNB1 format. I am currently investigating how this could be produced. It is quite easy to place buildings with this tool.

Thanks

Rene

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Yes, Jon does provide a number of Generic Buildings for use in Airport Design Editor and there is probably a way to add more of them, but unfortunately I don't remember how it is done.

The Flight Simulator developers came up with Generic Buildings as a simple way to add standard, non-custom buildings to the world scenery, thus saving them a lot of work.

Luis Sá put together a wonderful procedure to create and view "personalized" Generic Buildings from within SBuilderX, and I made dozens of new buildings representing what I considered would be the most commonly used types for the SBuilderX collection.

You could also try making more realistic models using an object creation tool. I seem to recall that Arno's ModelConverterX will also load Sketchup models. That is a very easy to use program, although I am not sure if it is still available.

Best regards.
Luis

mga010

Post by mga010 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks for all those hints.

I have managed now to make generic buildings with SBuilderX and place them in Airport Design Editor. The procedure is: Load the airport into ADE. Start FSX and go to the airport. Position SBuilderX to the plane (it connects to FSX). Create and place a generic building in SBuilderX. Compile in SBuilderX. Load the XML file in ADE. The building will appear at the airport and can be placed and turned. (The building can also be saved in ADE as generic building, if necessary for other airports.) The generic building maker of SBuilderX has some problems since it does not accept some settings for the buildings. Maybe I found a restriction for generic buildings.

I also managed to make models with Blender. I can add colors, and I know how to add textures. I find the process a bit too cumbersome for my purposes. Till now, I am only using diffuse colors for the elements. Unfortunately that means that there is no night lighting.

I have installed Google Sketchup. It is still available. I have not tried it yet.

Rene